I was really excited about this week's meal plan because I tried a new recipe that turned out to be a family favorite! In my book, that's considered a huge success when our tastes buds all agree!
The recipe was titled Veggie Lentil Tostada's. I have been wanting to experiment more with lentils lately so I could replace some of our meat protein meals with some vegetarian meals and not be missing out on the much needed protein. I've had lentisl before, but I've not cooked with them much and I certainly did not know how to season them. This recipe was a hit!
VEGGIE LENTIL TOSTADAS
1 3/4 cup water
3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic minced
5 baked corn tortillas
2 cups frozen veggies, steamed (I used California Blend)
*1/4 mozzarella cheese
In a saucepan stir water, lentils and seasonings. Bring to a boil;reduce heat. SImmer covered for 12-15 minutes or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed. Mash the lentils with a fork.
![]() |
| Red lentils after they have been cooked and mashed |
While lentils are cooking, steam your veggies and chop into smaller pieces.
Spray your corn tortillas with cooking spray on both sides and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes.
Spread lentil mixture on baked tortilla shell, top with veggies and cheese.
*Original recipe calls for Monterey Jack, but mozzarella was what I had on hand..really, I only used about 1tsp of cheese per corn tortilla. Next time, I probably wouldn't even bother with the cheese.
recipe adapted from http://www.bhg.com/recipe/appetizers-snacks/lentil-veggie-tostadas/
Both of my girls devoured this dinner. Since it was the first time I made it, I wasn't sure how much it would make. When I make it again, I will probably double the recipe so there is enough for everyone to have seconds! My youngest actually ate hers on top of tortilla chips because that seemed to be easier for her to handle. My oldest folded hers up and turned it into a veggie taco!
That was our highlight dinner of the week. Here are the rest of the week's meals.
WEEK 2 MEAL PLAN
Breakfast- Arbonne protein shakes
Lunch- turkey wraps: whole wheat tortillas with any veggies on hand and hummus, hard boiled egg
Snacks: raw coconut chunks, turkey jerky, hard boiled eggs, Ak Mak crackers with slice cheese and avocado, handful of almonds or cashews.
Dinner- Spinach Taco Salad
Eggs, sausage and Brussel sprouts
Pizza
Turkey Burgers with Spinach (no buns) and Brussel sprouts
Lemon Pepper Chicken Taco's with red cabbage & avocado
Black Bean Turkey Enchildas with whole wheat tortillas
We broke down and had little Caesar's one night during the week. We were out late shopping and let's face it, I wasn't in the mood to make dinner when we got home. Just keepin it real over here.
If any of you out there have any other great recipes using lentils or meatless meals I would love hear about it. Please share!
Kristie




No comments:
Post a Comment