Day one of my 30 day detox is officially over. Of course, I was all hyped up and excited the first day to eat all of this delicious healthy food that is stock piled in my refrigerator. It was a great day, a day of excitement for the rewards to come from sticking with this lifestyle change!
One thing I know that I need to do while on this detox is to have some quick easy meals already made up for those nights where I'm on the go or just plain tired to try my hand at something new or involved. That being said, I took advantage of my excitement for the day and made a big batch of Black Bean soup!
This is by far one of my favorite soups of all time and I'm so excited to share it with you! It's delicious and filling. Plus, as a leftover it makes a great burrito filling or a nacho topping! One meal turned into two or three is always a fantastic thing in my world. One less thing to think about for me makes a big difference these days with little tykes running around. It's the small things in life people..it really is.
Black Bean Soup
*onion powder (to taste)
4 cloves of minced garlic
4 celery ribs (chopped)
1/2 red bell pepper chopped (or can use a pinch of sugar and a dash of cayenne)
4-6 cups of organic chicken stock
5-6 cans of black beans (or 1 1/2 bags of dried beans, soaked and cooked)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
2 Tbs. Lemon juice
In a large pot add your chicken stock, chopped celery, bell pepper, garlic and onion. Simmer for 10 minutes or until celery and pepper are soft. Add salt, cumin and 3 cans of your black beans
rinsed and drained (or 1/3 of your cooked dried beans). Simmer for 5 minutes then puree.
I use my blender wand thingy, as I'm sure that's the official name of the device.
Add the rest of your black beans and lemon juice. Heat through and then dig in!
* Feel free to chop up a real onion. I am not a fan of them so I usually will substitute with the onion powder
This is great served hot off the stove or with tortilla chips and cheese!
You can also make this completely vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of the chicken stock.
This was the perfect dish for our rainy day and for our detox! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Until next time,
Kristie
.



This looks delicious! I have got to try this!
ReplyDelete