Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Kristie's week 1 workout

So I've started my workouts...kind of. I have had to start from ground zero, square one, call it what you want but I've had to scale waaaay back on my starting point for workouts. You can read all about why in the about me post. So, what does this mean and look like for me? I have started working out just 10 minutes a day. Yup, that's it. I'm not overdoing it by any means. Obviously, some of you are going to be at a much higher level than I am, but if you are just starting out, new to the whole working out idea, simply out of shape, or even pregnant and looking for some exercise, this is a good place to start. If you're more advanced or need more of a challenge to sweat, then check out what Liz is doing. She gives great workouts and tips on how to modify exercises to fit your needs. The important thing is not to do exactly what we do but to make it your own. I have found that the only way to continue on a healthy lifestyle, whether it's eating right or exercising, it has to be something I enjoy. If I don't enjoy it, then I most likely will not stick with it. So, please feel free to make it your own and adjust it according to your needs, and if you have any questions Liz and I are more than happy to help where we can.
Ok, so my great 10 minute workout comes from the DVD called "10 minutes Solution Prenatal Pilates". There are a few things I need to address here #1 No, I am not pregnant and #2 Yes I realize I am doing a prenatal workout. Guess what, I'm totally ok with that! In fact, it makes me laugh. I think this DVD is great because it gives you 6 different 10 minutes workouts to choose from each targeting a different area of the body; Pilates for buns and thighs, standing Pilates, core, flexibility, total body Pilates and a bonus postnatal segment called flat belly fast, (which I have attempted one time and fell flat on my face as I am clearly not ready for that yet.)
Let me tell you how I approach this video and how it has worked very well for me. I have gained strength, muscle, toned, and lost weight using this method, so I know it works for me. I start out the first week just doing the 10 minute flexibility workout. It's simple but effective, that's why I like it. Get your body used to stretching every day and you will start to feel a difference. Plus, being a busy mom with little kiddos sometimes 10 minutes is all I can squeeze in or manage with little munchkins crawling all over my back while I try cat stretches and leg circles. Just sayin. It's pretty amazing to me, once being a Physical Educator myself, what a difference it makes when you stop stretching every day. That's when the shrinking begins ladies! I feel so much better when I stretch my limbs out and lean out my body. It will make you sore if you are not used to this. Stick with it, it's a good sore! After about a week of the flexibility workout, I add a second workout for a total of 20 minutes. I personally like to rotate through the workouts that way I am targeting each area of my body. And that's pretty much it. I will do this until I feel I have gained enough strength where I can increase my workload or add some cardio. Even though this is a pregnancy workout video, it works great for me. It challenges my body and it is at a level that I can physically handle right now without getting overwhelmed or discouraged, which I think is extremely important when first starting out. Make your goals realistic for yourself so that you have a plan that you know you can stick with and be successful with.
Right now, I am in my third day of the flexibility workout and I plan to continue it for one week before adding another workout. Pat yourself on the back girls because you're making positive strides today for a better you!

No comments:

Post a Comment