Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What a Wonderful Tuesday!

So, I've joined another 5 day clean eating challenge and today is the second day. I love the accountability. If you're interested in participating in one of these challenges with me just let me know, I'd love to have more accountability partners that are desiring to make their lives healthier and happier too. I know I keep saying this, but what you eat really effects how you feel. Since, I've been eating healthy, whole food, I have been feeling great! You will too!

 I started the day off right with my Arbonne protein shake, which tastes amazing. Really, I don't know what I would do for breakfast if I didn't have this. I'm not a big egg person no matter how you fix them, so to eat eggs everyday puts a bad taste in my mouth. I tried to make myself like oatmeal one time because I know it can be really great for you, but that ended up poorly, very poorly, coming right back up! Needless to say, I've sworn off oatmeal. Now pancakes, that's where it's at for me! Obviously, not a very healthy choice...at least the way I make them. My husband and I have this ongoing joke about how he would feed our children chocolate cake for breakfast if I would let him. A spin off of one of Bill Cosby's old comedy acts where he chants, "Dad is great, he gives us chocolate cake!" in reference to breakfast and how it's healthy because there are eggs in pancakes, milk,etc. So, the joke is that instead of chocolate cake for breakfast we should give them pancakes, dubbed; fried cake with syrup! So, if anyone out there has a magnificent healthy pancake recipe that doesn't taste like cardboard, please share with me!!


So this morning for my workout I grabbed the kiddos and we headed outdoors. It's been so beautiful here that I can't stand being inside. I loaded them up into the stroller and we hit the hills! My neighborhood is full of killer hills that leave you feeling the burn, especially when your pushing two kids in a stroller built for one! Ha! I have to constantly shift the stroller to balance out the weight. So, I get a great arm workout too!  Don't tell anyone, but on the really big hills, I make my oldest get out and walk. Shhh!!!
 I don't know why this picture turned out so fuzzy. My guess is that I was panting so hard I fogged up the lens!

After our run/walk, I finished my workout with my Pilates Core video. A great day!

Don't you just love my cheering section and my Pilates mat!








 For lunch yesterday I had two turkey wraps.
Black bean whole wheat tortilla, mustard, spinach and turkey. I like to add hummus and red peppers when on hand, but this was what was left in the fridge. For my mid morning snack, I had a hard boiled egg. I just read about a friend taking out the yoke and replacing it with hummus. I'll have to try that sometime.

Lastly, when that sweet tooth kicks in, usually around 2-3 pm for me, a healthy treat that won't make you blow it. This is "fudge".

Mint "Fudge"

1 banana
1-2 TBS raw cacao
1 TBS sweetener ( I used maple syrup)
1/4 cup *coconut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 handful of washed spinach
1/8 tsp mint extract

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Pour into pan and freeze until firm. I used two mini mini loaf pans. They are smaller than the mini loaf pan, but you can use anything.

Omit the mint if you would like plain chocolate fudge or add different flavors such as almond, coconut extract. You can also omit the chocolate (who would do such a thing!) and have green banana fudge. This recipe will soften quickly at room temperature.

* Coconut butter is different than coconut oil and can be purchased in health food stores, on-line or you can make your own. To make your own, take raw unsweetened shredded coconut and blend in a food processor until it turns creamy like butter. It may take some time, but it will get there. Coconut oil can be substituted for coconut butter in THIS recipe, but not for all recipes. It will change the consistency of your final product. The coconut butter adds a nice creamy texture that will make the "fudge" taste more fudgey!

Recipe adapted from Purely Twins. http://purelytwins.com/2013/03/08/4-ingredient-vegan-low-sugar-gluten-free-homemade-fudge/

No comments:

Post a Comment