Thursday, November 14, 2013

Count Your Blessings- My Story (Kristie)

Hey there! My name is Kristie and I'm here to share with you my journey to better health and wellness. I'm a stay at home mommy, to two amazing girls (3 and 18 mos), a former Jr. High Physical Education Teacher, a health and wellness Independent Consultant, a girl who tries my best to put God first in my life, is passionate about teaching others and learning myself how to become healthier. I'm crazy about cooking/ baking, camping, reading, my kids, my hubby and getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night!

Liz and I started this blog so we could share with you our personal journey's in hopes of encouraging you, pointing you to Christ, motivating you,  and encouraging you some more to become the person God wants you to be.

My journey started about 13 years ago when I moved to California from Michigan to attend a Christian college where I majored in Physical Education. That's where I met Liz. My first day on campus during a basketball practice. However, our paths didn't cross again until a few years later, when we became roommates. I have always been interested in science, the human body, learning how things work and how what we eat and do effects us physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Photo: My all time favorite meal that the hubs makes...lemon pepper chicken tacos with red cabbage,guac, & asparagus.mmmmm
Lemon Pepper Chicken Taco's
 I slowly started making healthier, wiser choices for myself as I learned all about new California cuisine compared to our heavy starchy Midwestern comfort goodness.

 When I finished college I started teaching Jr. High Phys Ed and that's where I met my dear friend Jen. She introduced to me to a Health and Wellness Company called Arbonne. They are a company dedicated to producing products that are free from chemicals, animal products, mineral oils, carcinogens, etc. Through this endeavor, my passion for wellness began to grow as well as my knowledge. Not only was I learning how to be a healthier person, I was also learning how to be a better person through the strengthening of my relationship with Christ. It was then, that our first little blessing came into our lives and made us a family of 3. I chose to be a stay at home mommy and continued to pursue increasing my knowledge of health and wellness. I taught educational classes to members of our community, experimented in the kitchen with all kinds of new foods, and did my best to keep myself on track. I have definitely had my ups and downs.  18 months ago, we were blessed with our second little darling girl. She was perfect.
 
 Two days after her birth, I found myself on my deathbed, literally. I was hit with an aggressive infection that turned septic. I spent 2 weeks in the ICU in agonizing pain, and had nothing to think about except  the question of, "Will I live through this to see my little girls grow up?".



That's when things changed for me. I have always been healthy and active. I take care of myself, and here I was unable to move a muscle completely stripped away of all my strength. And the worst part was that there was nothing I could do to fix it. The doctors told me this was just a freak thing that happened and I was lucky to have modern medicine available. I have never faced pain or endured such agony as that (not even during 2 natural childbirths!).  I was put through the ringer.






Even when I was released from the hospital, I could not walk with out holding onto things. I was so weak I could not hold my 8lb baby. I felt helpless. I was forced to rely on God for my strength to make it through one day at a time. I was forced to depend on everyone else to help me do simple things like pick my daughter up out of the crib, walk to the car, hold my newborn, because I could not.






 I had my moments of frustration but God surrounded me with his love and gave me a spirit of gratitude instead. He told me he would be my strength when I was weak and to treasure each moment I had with my family because life is short.




 
  I have slowly been rebuilding my muscles and my strength ever since then. My outlook on life is different, my perspective is more positive and my faith has been strengthened as I know God is not finished with me yet. So that is why I am here. To share with you the things that I have learned and conquered (through His grace) and the things that I am learning now as I have been given a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment