Friday, January 10, 2014

Clean Eating Part 1

Happy New Year! So I want to kick it up a notch as I start 2014 and get a jump start on healthy living. My family is embarking on the challenge of clean eating ( (more on that later) one day at a time! So far we are 8 days into it and it's been going great. I have lost 4 pounds already simply by increasing my water intake, eating whole,natural, raw, healthy foods...none of the processed junk, and I have been exercising at least 20 minutes a day. Everything from stroller walks, zumba, Pilates, and hopefully soon to start T25! Let me tell you, the first week was yuck! I felt like crap. Detoxing my system always makes me feel so sluggish as I wash out all of the junk in my system. I get headaches for a few days (sugar deprivation) and it's tough to stick it out but then I hear my brother's voice in the back of my head saying, "Don't be such a Naaaancy" in a funny voice and that always makes me laugh. BUT, after the first week, I start feeling amazing! I have so much more energy, I feel cleaner inside, and I WANT to go exercise and I WANT to eat healthy food!

 I love this clean eating because I'm not so focused on what I can't have and I don't feel deprived. I simply have learned to substitute.  For example, we were invited over to a friends house for dinner and I was suppose to bring dessert. My favorite thing to make, eat, etc.  So instead of junking it up and falling into temptation, I found this awesome new recipe for a chocolate tart made with avocados, and almonds. Sounds weird but it was so delicious!


 I know this picture may not look so appealing but trust me it was sooo good! This is the filling; avocados, maple syrup ( real maple syrup), raw cacao powder, and vanilla.

The crust was made from ground up almonds, pecans with maple syrup (real maple syrup), and raw cacao powder. My blender isn't the greatest, which makes this process a little more difficult but it still turned out pretty good. A few of my almonds didn't get chopped up very well (oh how I covet a Vitamixer!) Anyway, after a delish dinner and wonderful company, we devoured this baby! It hit the spot and satisfied my sweet tooth without all the guilt! 

I challenge you to join me on this journey of clean eating and start making small changes one day at a time to what you eat for a healthier, happier you!  

Ingredients
  • Chocolate Filling
  • 2 avocados, room temperature
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ¾ cup maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
  • Tart Crust
  • 4 cups almonds
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¾ cup maple syrup
Instructions
  1. Line a 9” removable bottom spring form pan or tart pan with saran wrap.
  2. Place the ingredients for chocolate filling in a food processor or blender fitted with chopping blade and process until smooth. Scrape the filling into a bowl and set it aside.
  3. Fit the bowl and blade back onto the food processor (no need to clean the bowl in between). Place all ingredients for tart crust except maple syrup into food processor. Process until fine textured with small bits of almonds. Measure out a ¼ cup of the crumbs and sprinkle them across the bottom of the tart pan. Add the maple syrup to the remaining crumbs and process 1-2 minutes until the tart crust becomes as thick as cookie dough. Pat crust into pan. Spread the chocolate filling over the crust, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Recipe adapted from  gi365.info/food/chocolate-tart/.


No comments:

Post a Comment