So far I have lost 8 pounds, but more importantly I am learning how to surrender this area of my life to God. I am still making my way through the book by Lysa Terkeurst, Made to Crave. She offers wonderful insight in turning your food cravings into obedience to the Lord. I know it may sound funny, but when we truly bring ALL thoughts captive to Him He will give us the strength to overcome. I really recommend you read the book for a fuller understanding.
There are three questions that she mentions to ask yourself throughout your week to help you "redefine your progress" instead of focusing on the numbers on the scale.
"1) Did I overeat on any day this week?
2) Did I move more and exercise regularly?
3) Do I fee lighter than I did last week at this time?"
These three simple questions have helped me to make wiser choices throughout my week AND allow me not to feel guilt when I do have a special treat. It has helped me to stay balanced.

For instance, I answered yes to all three of those questions this week. So, when I saw my favorite ice cream still sitting in the freezer. (I say STILL because I'm married to a Wakley and they eat ice cream like it's going to be there last meal..EVER!)
I had an idea. My new favorite way to drink hot chocolate is with a scoop of peppermint ice cream! It is so delicious and addicting! If you've never tried this before, you should.
I had a cup. (Gasp!) But that's not clean eating you say. No, no it isn't. Did I see it as rewarding myself for eating well all week. NO! That is not proper thinking either. I believe that will end in a pitfall to continuously reward your good efforts with junk.
( No I did not eat that chocolate dipped marshmallow down in the corner! No, really I didn't. I'll just give myself a little pat on that back for that.)

I was able to make the choice to have the special treat on occasion because it wasn't controlling me. It wasn't all I could think about. I allowed myself to have it and I did not feel guilty about it because I knew that it wasn't going to lead me back down the path of destruction. I didn't crave more and more sugar or junk. I was satisfied. I checked my motives as to why I wanted to eat this treat. Was it because I felt like stuffing my face with sugar? Was it because I was feeling emotional, hormonal, discouraged, depressed and I wanted something that would make me feel good (temporarily)? Was it because it was all I could think about and I just had to have it? The answer was no.
What's your favorite dessert to splurge on?
Until next time,
Kristie
No comments:
Post a Comment